Based on our past work, the client commissioned a future scenario piece about travel in general and overnight train travel in particular over the next 5 – 15 years.
What We Did
- Booked tickets and rode trains – mystery shopping the experience.
- Talked to passengers, staff – from Engineers to Call Centre Workers to Directors
- Researched travel trends, luxury trends.
- Crunched data.
- Travel is by tribes – demographics no longer provide sufficient insight.
- Strong nostalgic sentiments.
- Middle East and Asia are markets to watch.
- Staff motivation low.
- Current customer base don’t want service to change.
- Engineers treat passengers like cargo.
- Tourists boards’ data points don’t map to industry trends.
We proposed 10 experiments. Two were immediately commercialised. TheFTSE 250 company received positive attention from City Analysts for the experiments.